Monday, July 13, 2009

21st Century Learning

One of the main concerns of our society is the current state of our educational system.  We spend hours lamenting the structure of our current system, complaining about unmotivated students, and lamenting the lack of quality teachers as more and more talented educators flee the schools to find jobs more lucrative and fulfilling.  One problem we, as educators, experience is lack of germane in-service training. We spend hours listening to the same old pep talks and same old pedagogical dogma, all watching our clocks and waiting to get back to our summers.  While I try to be very positive about each in-service I attend, I must admit to having lowered expectations after years of doing this.

Thank goodness for 21st Century Learning teams.  We are actually learning things that will transform education and prepare our students to continue education for a lifetime as well as compete in society for the best educations and jobs worldwide.  I have learned today how use technology to engage students.  I feel like doors are opening to me as an educator and that the possibilities are endless for my students. I ask that you feel free to comment on this blog and to return again and again to offer you thoughts and ideas. Thanks for your time.  I promise to offer many positive things in the days, weeks, and months to come.  -Jay Williams

As an activity for a slow summer evening, I would ask you to post as a comment something you have learned from me.  It can be in or out of a classroom setting. You may be very specific or very general and you may list a single word or phrase or pontificate voluminously. Please feel free to write as much or little as you like.  Thanks for your time and your thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. From you, my friend,
    I learned that life is too short not to have fun! I believe you are the one who convinced me to skip a night class (the week before my final exam) to go bowling and enjoy myself! We had a great time (and I didn't do too bad on the exam either)! Not that I recommend that to everyone, but unfortunately I tend to be a little to serious...and you showed me that fun and humor can fit in too!
    thanks!
    OH...you also introduced me to animaniacs and kids in the hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Williams,

    During our production of Oklahoma!, I learned from you several things. One of the most important lessons you taught was to always give it my best. We never know how our action will affect others.

    When you told the cast the story about Peter Pan and the magic fairy dust, it encouraged me to start doing whatever I do to the best of my ability and to have a smile on my face during the process.

    I can't thank you enough for what you have taught me. I'll never forget learning the lesson, hearing the story, or singing "Lean On Me" on opening night.

    Thanks Again,
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never forget that one summer, years ago, you taught me that some lifelong friends can be entirely instant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned from watching you...that you are a very committed educator who always goes above and beyond to ensure success for your students. I do mean it when I say...you are a role model for us all.

    Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete